30 Lessons I Learned in Quarantine


After seven long weeks, we’re finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel that is quarantine. In those anxiety-ridden first couple of weeks, I was waiting for this moment. When the numbers would start decreasing instead of increasing. When knew when things would start opening back up. And I have to say, it doesn’t feel as good as I thought it would. It’s actually kind of bitter-sweet. I didn’t rush out the door the minute the ‘stay-at-home’ order ended. Now that I can legally leave my house, I still don’t want to. Home is safe and the world is scary. I’ve only gone to the grocery store a few times during quarantine and the outside world wasn’t the nice escape I imagined. Most people, including me, are wearing masks, which makes talking feel strained. You can’t see a stranger’s smile. Social distancing is enforced. The mood is tense, and everyone is rushing to leave as quickly as possible. It doesn’t exactly have me excited to repeat the experience.
Being at home 24/7 during these “trying times” (as all the commercials are calling it) hasn’t always been easy. My toddler and I have had our fair share of power struggles. My husband and I have had our fair share of arguments (really, sometimes I think we argued just to cause some excitement). For the most part, though, I’ve enjoyed this quarantine oasis. There’s been no rushing to get Marissa ready for school. We’ve had more quality time together. More family game nights together and virtually with friends that live out of town. We’ve baked and taken countless walks. All we had was each other, so our immediate family meant so much more. If I had to pause time, I’m happy it was at the age Marissa is at right now. Two-and-a-half-year-old toddlers sure are a handful, but they’re also adorable. So, when I do leave quarantine, I hope I take these life lessons with me.
  1. You don’t have to leave the house to have fun.
  2. Your home is your oasis. Treat it that way by keeping it clean and staying on top of home improvement projects.
  3. Even your partner can’t read your mind. Mature people ask for what they want.
  4. Getting outside can make a huge difference in improving your mood.
  5. You married a really great guy. He’s fun, kind, smart, and a great dad.
  6. It’s amazing what you can accomplish in a day if you set your mind to it. I told Dustin that he couldn’t paint a room in a day, and he did it in half that, just to prove me wrong.
  7. Your kid is funny. She’s not a baby anymore. She’s a real human with skills, a personality, and opinions (so many opinions).
  8. Toys are really fun. I think I’ve enjoyed Marissa’s Legos, crafts, and kinetic sand just as much, if not more than her.
  9. You don’t have to be physically with friends to feel connected to them.
  10. You are in control of your mood. Don’t like how you feel? Do something to turn your mood around.
  11. It’s amazing what people can come up with when they’re forced to be creative.
  12. You have it so much better than so many people.
  13. Never take the little things for granted anymore. Dropping Marissa off at school. Browsing a store. Hugging a friend. Being in a crowd of people. Going to a football game.
  14. You don’t need a gym to work out.
  15. Being in good health and having those close to you heathy is such a blessing.
  16. Life isn’t all about you. What we do affects other people’s lives more than we realize.
  17. There are good people still out there. People devoting all of their time to sewing masks. Celebrities paying for entire stores to get groceries. Rent being forgiven.
  18. A slower life isn’t a bad life. It’s okay to sit back and do nothing.
  19. Freedom can be taken away from you. The freedom to do what you want when you want, go where you want, when you want, shouldn’t be taken for granted.
  20. There are more important things than your to-do list, your trivial worries, your unnecessary indulgences. If your family is healthy and you are safe, that’s all that really matters.
  21. A quiet toddler is the one you worry about. Noise is the sign of normalcy. Quiet is suspicious.
  22. Try new recipes. Some will work and some will be a giant fail, but that’s how new staples are discovered.
  23. Take that trip. Go. See new places. After months of monotony, I’ll never regret gaining a new experience again.
  24. You look fine without all that extra effort. I definitely like how I look with make-up more but putting it on every single day is a huge time suck.
  25. When the sight of other people feels welcome, instead of frightening, cherish that feeling.
  26. A full grocery store isn’t a given. Not having to fear whether basic necessities like meat or eggs will be at the store isn’t something that everyone gets to experience.
  27. A top to a Sharpie has never been terrifying… until you have a toddler.
  28. The internet connects us far more than it divides us.
  29. Thank anyone and everyone who helps with childcare in the future. The load of doing it on your own is not easy to bear. Appreciate anyone who helps lighten your load.
  30. Smile a little bigger the next time you come across a stranger mask-free.

Obviously, I’ve learned a lot from this time in quarantine. I’ve done a lot and had experienced things that I wouldn’t have had the chance to do otherwise. Life will never go back to the normal we experienced before all of this happened. Who knows when the next time we go to a festival or a concert will be? Who knows if office jobs or handshakes will become a thing of the past? I hope that these lessons we learned in quarantined will stick with us. That we will cherish everything that we were kept from during this time. That we will be kinder to friends. And more generous to the poor after experiencing a fraction of the hardships they face. I hope our world doesn’t go back to how it was before. Because this quarantine life has taught me what’s really important.

Comments

Popular Posts